- Refer to the Zoning Guidance notes below for information on required setback and screening standards
- After you have completed and gathered all of the required documents, you will need to submit your permit application and plans electronically through the IrvineReady! Online Permit Submittal portal
Covered Parking Solar Energy Systems
- Covered parking solar energy systems shall not be located within any required building setback but may encroach into a landscaping setback a maximum of three feet.
- Covered parking solar energy systems shall not result in a net loss of any required parking.
- Pillars or supports for the covered parking structure may not intrude into the required dimensions for the parking space
Roof-Mounted Solar Energy Systems
- All solar energy system appurtenances such as, but not limited to, plumbing, water tanks, and support equipment shall be screened to the maximum extent possible without compromising the effectiveness of the solar collectors and shall be painted a color similar to the color of the surface upon which they are mounted. If panels are used as screening, they shall contain a finish and color consistent with the building's exterior walls. Solar collectors are exempt from the screening and color provisions of this subsection; solar inverter boxes and A/C disconnect boxes are exempt from the color provision of this subsection.
What Documents Will Be Required?
1. Application Package. Includes:
- Building Permit Application
- Electronic/Digital Signature Disclosure
2. PLANS as described in detail on the Solar Photovoltaics Information Sheet
READY TO BEGIN? Your application must be submitted online using the IrvineReady! Online Permit Submittal Portal. We recommend keeping this webpage open in a different tab so you can refer to the information below.
IrvineReady! works best on Google Chrome, rather than Safari or Microsoft Edge.
When you click the button below to go to IrvineReady!, you will first be prompted to create an account, or to log into an existing account.
After creating an account and logging in, click the green plus button to the lower right-hand side of the window to start a new submittal.
In the “Project Type” drop-down menu, select “For Permitting--Other” as the permit type.
- After submitting your plans, City staff will review the information for completeness within approximately one to three business days. If additional information is needed, you will be notified.
- You will be emailed a link to pay required fees. Visit the Fee Schedule page for additional information and current fee rates
- After payment is received, your project will be assigned for review.
In general you should anticipate two (2) to four (4) business days for the initial plan check; if corrections are required, you will be notified.