- The deck must comply with building setbacks outlined in the Zoning Ordinance. Refer to the Zoning Guidance below
- If the deck is more than 30 inches above grade, you will need to provide structural plans and calculations prepared and signed by a registered California structural engineer as part of your building permit application
- Your Homeowners Association may have its own approval process. Review your HOA policies and procedures before proceeding with your design plans
- If your property is a condominium, you will need to submit a copy of the approved design plans from your HOA
- After you have completed and gathered all of the required documents, you will need to submit your permit application and plans electronically through the IrvineReady! Online Plan Submission Portal
The deck must comply with building setbacks outlined in the Zoning Ordinance. For many single-family properties, this is five feet from the side property line and ten feet from the rear property line, but this will depend on the location and the property’s zoning.
To find the zoning for your property, you may refer to the Zoning Map or to the Online Parcel Search. You may also contact the Planning Counter at 949-724-6308.
Requirements for each zoning district are outlined in Chapter 3-37 of the Zoning Ordinance. For your convenience, zoning requirements for two of the most common residential zoning districts are linked below.
Zoning requirements for the 2.2 Low Density Residential Zone
Zoning requirements for the 2.3 Medium Density Residential Zone
What Documents Will Be Required?
- Application Package. Download and fill out the PDF form to submit online.
- Site Plan. Be sure to dimension and label:
- Property lines
- Existing dwelling, walls, structures (e.g. patio covers, pools)
- Proposed deck (and distance from nearest property lines)
- CONSTRUCTION DRAWINGS. Including height dimensions.
- STRUCTURAL PLANS AND CALCULATIONS stamped and signed by California licensed Civil or Structural Engineer if deck is more than 30 inches above grade
- IF PROPERTY IS A CONDOMINIUM: COPY OF DESIGN APPROVAL LETTER FROM YOUR HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION.
Please note, depending on the specifics of your project, additional plans, details, forms, exhibits, or support documents may be requested through the plan check process.
READY TO BEGIN? Your application must be submitted online using the IrvineReady! Online Permit Submittal Portal. We recommend keeping this webpage open in a different tab so you can refer to the information below.
IrvineReady! works best on Google Chrome, rather than Safari or Microsoft Edge.
When you click the button below to go to IrvineReady, you will first be prompted to create an account, or to log into an existing account.
Video Link: How to Create an Account in IrvineReady!
After creating an account and logging in, click the green plus button to the lower right-hand side of the window to start a new submittal.
In the “Project Type” drop-down menu, select “For Permitting--Other” as the permit type.
Video Link: Preparing Documents for Upload into IrvineReady!
PROCEED TO THE IRVINEREADY! SYSTEM
- After submitting your plans, City staff will review the information for completeness within approximately two business days. If additional information is needed, you will be notified.
- You will be emailed a link to pay required fees. Visit the Fee Schedule page for additional information and current fee rates
- After payment is received, your project will be assigned for review.
In general you should anticipate two (2) to four (4) business days for the initial plan check; if corrections are required, you will be notified.