- If your project meets the following criteria, you will be able to submit your application through the Automated Online Permit system:
- like-for-like replacement
- replacement water heater or A/C unit will be in the same location as the original water heater or A/C unit
- If your project does not meet the above criteria (for example, if the new unit will be installed in a new location), click here
- If the water heater is located in the garage, please ensure it is not intruding into the required clear parking area (see Zoning Guidance below)
- All water heaters higher than four feet shall be anchored or strapped per State guideline and/or manufacturer’s instructions in order to resist earthquakes
- Refer to the notes and equipment requirements within Informational Bulletin 310
- If the water heater is being placed in the garage, make sure that it will not intrude into the clear area required for vehicle parking:
- For one-car garages, the clear space must measure 10 feet in width, 20 feet in depth, and seven feet in height.
- For two-car garages, the clear space shall be a minimum of 20 feet in width, 20 feet in depth, and seven feet in height.
- The new condensing unit must be in the same location as the existing unit and be at least two feet from any property line. The maximum height for an A/C unit is 48 inches.
- You must also obtain approval from your Homeowner’s Association, if applicable, prior to doing the work
What documents will be required?
Download and complete the following to submit through the Automated Online Permit system:
Proceed to the Automated Online Permit system