- Screening shall be required for any rooftop or ground-mounted mechanical equipment. Refer to the Zoning Guidance below
- After you have completed and gathered all of the required documents, you will need to submit your permit application and plans electronically through the IrvineReady! Online Permit Submittal portal
Building Code Guidance
- Storage areas and equipment shall not be located in any required setback area or side yard except for electrical or telephone equipment installed by the utilities.
- Screening shall be provided so that materials stored in the area and/or equipment at grade or on the roof are screened from view from all adjacent streets and properties at the same grade.
- Screening shall be provided so that materials and/or equipment stored in the area at grade or on the roof are screened from view from all adjacent streets, no matter the street grade, and all properties at the same grade. Solar energy systems are exempt from this regulation (see Chapter 3-31, "Solar energy system standards").
Roof top equipment and appurtenances shall be equal to or less than the height of the parapet of a flat roofed structure or shall not be visible from any point at or below the eave line of a non-flat roofed structure. If this is not possible then a solid and permanent roof-mounted screen shall be installed to hide the roof top equipment and appurtenances. The roof screen materials and details shall be compatible with the architectural style, materials and color of the building upon which the equipment is located.
When used as a screen, landscaping shall be of compact evergreens which will obtain a minimum height of two feet within 18 months of installation and an eventual minimum height of 3½ feet
What Documents Will Be Required?
- Building Permit Application
- Commercial Take-Off Sheet
- Electronic/Digital Signature Disclosure
READY TO BEGIN? Your application must be submitted online using the IrvineReady! Online Permit Submittal Portal. We recommend keeping this webpage open in a different tab so you can refer to the information below.
IrvineReady! works best on Google Chrome, rather than Safari or Microsoft Edge.
When you click the button below to go to IrvineReady, you will first be prompted to create an account, or to log into an existing account.
Video Link: How to Create an Account in IrvineReady!
After creating an account and logging in, click the green plus button to the lower right-hand side of the window to start a new submittal.
In the “Project Type” drop-down menu, select “For Permitting--Other” as the permit type.
Video Link: Preparing Documents for Upload into IrvineReady!
- After submitting your plans, City staff will review the information for completeness within approximately two business days. If additional information is needed, you will be notified.
- You will be emailed a link to pay required fees. Visit the Fee Schedule page for additional information and current fee rates
- After payment is received, your project will be processed for review.
In general you should anticipate 2-4 days for the initial plan check; if corrections are required, you will be notified. It usually takes an additional 2-4 days before a permit is ready for issuance.