- Structural calculations will be required
- There are height limits for walls in residential areas, typically a maximum six feet in height within required setback areas. Refer to the Zoning Guidance below
- Administrative Relief is required for fences over six feet in height that are proposed within a required setback area. Contact the Planning Counter at email@example.com or 949-724-6308 for more information
- Certain construction materials/finishes are prohibited under the Irvine Zoning Ordinance. Refer to the Zoning Guidance below
- Your Homeowners Association may have its own approval process. Review your HOA policies and procedures before proceeding with your design plans
- If your property is a condominium, you will need to submit a copy of the approved design plans from your HOA
- After you have completed and gathered all of the required documents, you will need to submit your permit application and plans electronically through the IrvineReady! Online Plan Submission Portal
- Fences and walls in the front setback area shall be no higher than 2½ feet above grade at the property line. The fence or wall may be one foot higher for every three feet the fence or wall is set back from the property line, up to a maximum of six feet above grade
- For corner lots, walls and fences on the streetside may be up to six feet in height as long as there are no driveways along that side of the house
- The maximum height of a fence or wall shall be 2½ feet above grade within the sight triangle of any street intersection. Refer to City of Irvine Engineering Standard Plan 403 (page 103 of the PDF)
- Barbed wire, wire, electronically charged fences, plain exposed concrete block, plastic materials, chain link and grape stakes are prohibited.
- If you are planning a living wall or a media wall in your backyard, the wall may be no taller than six feet in height within a required setback area
What documents will be required?
Application Package. Download and fill out the PDF forms to submit online. The Application Package includes:
- Building Permit Application
- Residential Take-Off Sheet
- Electronic/Digital Signature Disclosure
Site Plan Tips
Construction Plan Tips
IF PROPERTY IS A CONDOMINIUM: COPY OF DESIGN APPROVAL LETTER FROM YOUR HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION
READY TO BEGIN? Your application must be submitted online using the IrvineReady! Online Permit Submittal Portal. We recommend keeping this webpage open in a different tab so you can refer to the information below.
IrvineReady! works best on Google Chrome, rather than Safari or Microsoft Edge.
When you click the button below to go to IrvineReady, you will first be prompted to create an account, or to log into an existing account.
After creating an account and logging in, click the green plus button to the lower right-hand side of the window to start a new submittal.
In the “Project Type” drop-down menu, select “For Permitting--Other” as the permit type.
- After submitting your plans, City staff will review the information for completeness within approximately two business days. If additional information is needed, you will be notified.
- You will be emailed a link to pay required fees. Visit the Fee Schedule page for additional information and current fee rates
- After payment is received, your project will be assigned for review.
In general you should anticipate five (5) business days for the initial plan check; if corrections are required, you will be notified.