- For information regarding storage battery installations, please review article 480 of the California Electrical Code
- Review the Site Plan/Floor Plan Guidance (below) while preparing your documents and drawings
- Your Homeowners Association may have its own approval process. Review your HOA policies and procedures before proceeding with your design plans
- Structural calculations may be required depending on the battery installation location
- After you have completed and gathered all of the required documents, you will need to submit your permit application and plans electronically through the IrvineReady! Online Plan Submission Portal
What Documents Will Be Required?
- BUILDING PERMIT APPLICATION
- RESIDENTIAL TAKE-OFF SHEET
- ELECTRONIC/DIGITAL SIGNATURE DISCLOSURE
- SITE PLAN/FLOOR PLAN showing equipment location. Specifically:
- Provide an electrical single line diagram. If applicable, include revised or existing PV Plans (site Plan, floor plan, single line diagram, placard label diagram).
- Note on plan: “Electrical equipment shall be listed by City of Irvine recognized testing laboratory.”
- Provide battery manufacturer specification. Battery needs to be listed for UL 9540.
- Provide manufacturer’s anchorage detail. A battery (or batteries installed at the same location) weighing more than 400 pounds requires structural calculations and mounting details stamped and signed by a California licensed Civil/Structural Engineer.
- Identify the location of the battery storage system/
- If the battery storage system is being placed in the garage, demonstrate that it will not intrude on the clear area required for vehicle parking:
- For one-car garages, the clear space must measure 10 feet in width, 20 feet in depth, and seven feet in height.
- For two-car garages, the clear space shall be a minimum of 20 feet in width, 20 feet in depth, and seven feet in height.
- If the battery storage system is being placed outside, demonstrate that it is at least two feet from any property line.
- If the system is proposed in a visible location, screening is required. Screening may include painting the unit the same color as the exterior of the home.
STRUCTURAL PLANS AND CALCULATIONS may be required depending on the location of the battery storage system, for example, if multiple battery storage systems are proposed sharing the same wall stud.
READY TO BEGIN? Your application must be submitted online using the IrvineReady! Online Permit Submittal Portal. We recommend keeping this webpage open in a different tab so you can refer to the information below.
IrvineReady! works best on Google Chrome, rather than Safari or Microsoft Edge.
When you click the button below to go to IrvineReady, you will first be prompted to create an account, or to log into an existing account.
After creating an account and logging in, click the green plus button to the lower right-hand side of the window to start a new submittal.
In the “Project Type” drop-down menu, select “For Permitting--Other” as the permit type.
- After submitting your plans, City staff will review the information for completeness within approximately two business days. If additional information is needed, you will be notified.
- You will be emailed a link to pay required fees. Visit the Fee Schedule page for additional information and current fee rates
- After payment is received, your project will be assigned for review.
In general you should anticipate approximately five (5) business days for the initial plan check; if corrections are required, you will be notified.