A Tree Removal Permit is Required For
- Trees located in the public right-of-way (including the landscaped median next to the sidewalk of most homes and buildings, or along the paseo, or open space of the side or rear yard areas)
- Trees considered significant by the City of Irvine Municipal Code, including trees in established eucalyptus windrows
- Parking lot trees required to comply with the Zoning Ordinance. Contact the Planning Counter at firstname.lastname@example.org or 949-724-6308 for more information
- Boundary trees required to comply with the Zoning Ordinance. Contact the Planning Counter at email@example.com or 949-724-6308 for more information
A Tree Removal Permit is not required for
- Trees located in private residential yards. However, trees in the landscaped median near the street require a tree removal permit. Your Homeowners Association may also have its own requirements and procedures.
- Trees maintained by Homeowners' Associations that are neither part of the major street landscape area nor an established eucalyptus windrow
- Trees located on non-residential properties that are neither boundary trees nor parking lot trees
- You will need to submit your permit application and plans electronically through the IrvineReady! Online Permit Submittal portal
- City staff will review the application to evaluate whether it conforms with adopted tree removal standards
- You may be required to replace the tree after it is removed
- Special standards are in place for Eucalyptus trees in historic windrows
What documents will be required?
For a printable reference sheet, click here
1. Application Package includes:
- Tree Removal Permit Application
- Electronic/Digital Signature Disclosure
2. PDF copy a Site Plan showing the location of the trees to be removed
3. Brief Written Narrative describing:
- the type and number of trees to be removed and an explanation of why the trees are to be removed;
- the type, number, and gallon size of the trees to be used for replacement of removed trees; and
- an explanation of why the trees will not be replaced, if no replacement of removed trees is proposed
4. Vicinity Map showing how the trees will be accessed to be removed
5. Tree Removal Plans Showing:
- Vicinity map, north arrow, and scale of the plan (e.g. 1 inch = 10 feet)
- Locations of affected buildings and the dimensions of property lines
- Notes labeling existing tree(s), proposed removals and replacements
- Easement locations (if relevant, e.g. for tree replacement considerations)
- Location of paved and landscaped areas where applicable
- Controlled access gate locations (if any)
- Ultimate street right-of-way property lines (if these are different from existing)
- Adjacent streets, street names and intersections, showing striping and medians
- All access points (driveways), existing or proposed; label access type (i.e. curb return or apron)
- "Line of sight" (per City Standard Plan 403) at all access points on a curved roadway or at access points where buildings, landscaping or signage may obscure a driver's view, and to justify tree removal Standard Plan 403 may be found on page 103 of the City of Irvine Standard Plans PDF
- Parking count, where the tree removal or replacement may affect required parking per City of Irvine Zoning Code Section 3-15,5.B. 1 and 2 - Minimum Landscape Requirements for parking lots
READY TO BEGIN? Your application must be submitted online using the IrvineReady! Online Permit Submittal Portal. We recommend keeping this webpage open in a different tab so you can refer to the information below
IrvineReady! works best on Google Chrome, rather than Safari or Microsoft Edge
When you click the button below to go to IrvineReady, you will first be prompted to create an account, or to log into an existing account
Video Link: How to Create an Account in IrvineReady!
After creating an account and logging in, click the green plus button to the lower right-hand side of the window to start a new submittal
In the “Project Type” drop-down menu, select “For Permitting--Other” as the permit type.
Video Link: Preparing Documents for Upload into IrvineReady!
Proceed to the Irvineready! System
- After submitting your application and related documents, City staff will review the information for completeness within approximately two business days. If additional information is needed, you will be notified.
- You will be emailed a link to pay required fees. Visit the Fee Schedule page for additional information and current fee rates
- After payment is received, your project will be assigned for review.
Informational Bulletin 255: Tree Removal
Tree Removal Permit Information Sheet
If you will also need to apply for an Encroachment Permit, click here