- If the project involves an addition to the home (whether to the existing footprint or square footage of living space), refer to LINK to Residential Additions page when created
- If you are planning to add a bedroom, an additional parking space may be required. Refer to the Zoning Guidance below.
- School Facilities Fees will be assessed for additions of 500 square feet and larger
- Your Homeowners Association may have its own approval process. Review your HOA policies and procedures before proceeding with your design plans
- If your property is a condominium, you will need to submit a copy of the approved design plans from your HOA
- After you have completed and gathered all of the required documents, you will need to submit your permit application and plans electronically through the IrvineReady! Online Plan Submission Portal
- An additional parking space could be required if you are changing the number of bedrooms in the home
- For single-family homes approved before August 9, 1983, two (2) onsite covered parking spaces are required, regardless of the number of bedrooms
- For all other single-family homes:
- If the home has three (3) bedrooms or fewer: two (2) covered (garage) parking spaces are required
- If the home has four (4) or more bedrooms: three (3) parking spaces are required, two (2) of which must be covered (garage)
- For required driveway and garage dimensions, click here
Contact the Planning Counter at email@example.com or 949-724-6308 to confirm setbacks and additional zoning requirements.
- If your home was built before 1994, refer to Informational Bulletin 321
- Review Informational Bulletin 222 - Permits and Construction for Repairs and Remodels to Existing Condominiums, Townhouses and Detached Single Family Homes
- Homes built before 1980 that are removing walls will need to provide a South Coast Air Quality Management District Rule 1403 Notification Number Report.
- The home will need to meet current smoke and carbon monoxide detector requirements at the time of final inspection
What Documents Will Be Required?
For a printable checklist, click here.
Please refer to the file size and formatting information available through this link.
Architectural and Structural Plans, including the following:
City of Irvine Title Sheet for Residential Additions or Remodel (fill out all applicable references including the Site address, Scope of Work, and home fire sprinkler information)
Title Sheet Tips
- Architectural Site Plan depicting the following:
Building footprint with dimensions and setbacks.
Identification of all exterior fences/walls
Identification and labeling of all easements of record (i.e. easement to neighbor or water district easement, etc.)
You may insert a Google map aerial view of your home in the upper right box labeled ‘Location Map’ of the City Of Irvine Plan Check Title Sheet as long as it contains the same information.
Include the following note in the site plan and complete when confirming that no easement(s) exist on the property:
I, ____________________________, (print name as appropriate) property owner/authorized agent confirm the property depicted herein contains no easements restricting the proposed construction as shown in these plans.
Note: Projects including additions which encroach into a yard may require a survey prior to plan approval. For more information see Information Bulletin No. 302.
Architectural plans that include existing and proposed floor plan layouts and roof layout, existing and proposed exterior elevations, sections cut through addition and existing structure, applicable details. Identify in plans rain gutters on any eave, dimension on the plans, the measurement (width) of the eaves measured from the face of the wall to the end of the face of the eave including any rain gutters
Structural plans that include foundation plan and details, floor framing and/or roof framing plan (as applicable), structural details
- City of Irvine Green Building Standard Notes-Residential for additions that increase the conditioned space only
Structural Calculations stamped and signed by either a California licensed Civil/Structural Engineer or Architect.
Title 24 Energy Calculations. Plans shall include:
If the project meets the criteria of Informational Bulletin 220 (Soil Report Requirements for Additions), the following shall be included, and shall be prepared and signed by a qualified civil or geotechnical engineer.
A plot showing the location of all test borings and/or excavations.
Descriptions and classifications of the materials/soil encountered.
Elevations of the water table, if encountered.
Recommendations for foundation type and design criteria including bearing capacity, provisions to minimize the effects of expansive soils and the effects of adjacent loads.
Expected total differential settlement between the existing foundation and the proposed addition.
- IF PROPERTY IS A CONDOMINIUM: Copy of Design Approval Plans/Letter From Your Homeowners Association
- IF HOME WAS BUILT BEFORE 1980 AND PROJECT INVOLVES REMOVING WALLS: South Coast Air Quality Management District Rule 1403 Notification Number Report.
READY TO BEGIN? Your application must be submitted online using the IrvineReady! Online Permit Submittal Portal. We recommend keeping this webpage open in a different tab so you can refer to the information below.
IrvineReady! works best on Google Chrome, rather than Safari or Microsoft Edge.
When you click the button below to go to IrvineReady, you will first be prompted to create an account, or to log into an existing account.
After creating an account and logging in, click the green plus button to the lower right-hand side of the window to start a new submittal.
In the “Project Type” drop-down menu, select “For Permitting--Other” as the permit type.
- After submitting your plans, City staff will review the information for completeness within approximately two business days. If additional information is needed, you will be notified.
- You will be emailed a link to pay required fees. Visit the Fee Schedule page for additional information and current fee rates
- After payment is received, your project will be assigned for review.
In general you should anticipate five (5) business days for the initial plan check; if corrections are required, you will be notified.