- Only one Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) is permitted per single-family lot.
- ADUs are not permitted in duplexes, triplexes, and other buildings with more than one principal residence.
- There are a variety of zoning and Building Code requirements the project will need to consider
- If you are interested in constructing an ADU, please consult with your Homeowners Association prior to engaging an architect and initiating a review process with the City
- After you have completed and gathered all of the required documents, you will need to submit your permit application and plans electronically through the IrvineReady! Online Plan Submission Portal
Refer to the Accessory Dwelling Unit Information Sheet.
READY TO BEGIN? Your application must be submitted online using the IrvineReady! Online Permit Submittal Portal. We recommend keeping this webpage open in a different tab so you can refer to the information below.
IrvineReady! works best on Google Chrome, rather than Safari or Microsoft Edge.
When you click the button below to go to IrvineReady, you will first be prompted to create an account, or to log into an existing account.
After creating an account and logging in, click the green plus button to the lower right-hand side of the window to start a new submittal.
In the “Project Type” drop-down menu, select “For Permitting--Other” as the permit type.
- After submitting your plans, City staff will review the information for completeness within approximately two business days. If additional information is needed, you will be notified.
- You will be emailed a link to pay required fees. Visit the Fee Schedule page for additional information and current fee rates
- After payment is received, your project will be processed for review.