What rules apply to solar energy systems?
Solar installations must comply with the:
- City's Adopted Building and Fire Codes
- City's Zoning Code- Chapter 3-31
- Homeowner Association Approval (residential) - if applicable
How long does City review of solar energy systems take?
Standard review for single family residential projects are 5 working days. More complex projects may take two weeks. However, electronic submittal is offered for eligible residential solar energy systems and eligible solar pool heating and solar water heating systems.
- Commercial and Multi-Family Residential
- Single Family Residential
- Eligible Single Residential Systems 10 kW or Less for Electronic Submittal
- Eligible Solar Pool Heating Installations for One and Two Family Dwellings
- Eligible Water Heating Installations for One and Two Family Dwellings
Where can I find information on rebates and other incentive programs?
Visit energyupgradeca.org then enter "Orange" in the local information box, choose "Find Rebates and Incentives" and enter your zip code.
What laws affect homeowners who want to install solar?
The California Solar Rights Act includes provisions that regulate how local governments or homeowner's associations can review solar systems.
- Information and Requirements for Homeowners
- The California Solar Protection Act
- Rebates and Incentives including Federal and State Tax Credits and rebates from Southern California Edison
- Information on the types of solar energy systems
- Information and Requirements for Commercial and Industrial Sites