Please bring your plan check number so we can locate your project.
Contractors must bring:
1. Valid Contractors License Pocket Card (or copy) which must reflect a license type for the work being done.
2. A current copy of the Workers’ Compensation Certificate showing the policy number, expiration date, and the California State Contractors Board or the City of Irvine as the certificate holder.
3. A copy of their City of Irvine Business License or the license number.
BRING THE DOCUMENTATION WITH YOU EACH TIME YOU OBTAIN PERMITS. THE CITY OF IRVINE DOES NOT HOLD ANY OF THE ABOVE DOCUMENTATION ON FILE, except City of Irvine Business License.
The contractor may send an employee to the City with the above documents to obtain the permit. If the contractor sends an agent, they must provide the agent with a NOTARIZED LETTER OF AUTHORIZATION. The agent must also provide the contractor’s documents as described above.
Permits may be issued to the property owner after a Property Owner’s Package is filled out by the property owner. If the permit is being issued to an agent or representative of the property owner, the authorization section must also be filled out by the property owner naming the specific agent or representative. A copy of the owner’s driver’s license or other ID will be required to verify the owner’s signature. That document can be obtained by clicking here.
One additional set of approved plans will be required for all new construction or any construction with added square footage affecting the exterior dimension. This plan will be forwarded by the City to the Orange County Tax Assessor along with a copy of the permit (per Senate Bill 493; Chapter 510, Section 72 of the State of California Revenue and Taxation Code; Effective date January 1, 1992.)
Method of payment: The City of Irvine accepts checks, cash and credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express.)
Building permits or plan check extension requests must be submitted in writing to the Chief Building Official via email at PermitExtensions@cityofirvine.org.
Please include the following information:
- plan check or permit number to be extended
- a brief justification explaining why the project lapsed
- your name
- company name (if applicable)
- mailing address
- phone number
See Municipal Code section 5-9-205 C, D, and F for more details. Extension requests will not be processed more than six weeks in advance of expiration date. Please allow up to five business days to process the request.
Some residential permit types are automatically extended. Please check the expiration date at irvinepermits.org. (No need to register)
- Click on “Plan Check Inquiry” or “Permit Inquiry” button.
- Enter the eight digit plan check or permit number (no letters) in the Permit No. field.
- Click on the “Search for Permits” button at the bottom of the page.
- Click on the underlined permit number.
- Find the “Expires” date on the top right corner of the page.
Note: Engineering permits extension requests go to the Public Works department to Steve Sherwood, Assistant City Engineer, at firstname.lastname@example.org.