The center is thankful to have the support of dedicated volunteers. Volunteers assist staff in implementing the center’s programs and goals. Volunteers contribute to a variety of important tasks, including keeping the facility clean, helping visitors, providing animal care, and socializing adoptable animals. Areas of service include cat, dog, rabbit, foster care, animal transport, and community events/outreach.
Qualifications to Volunteer in Animal Care
To volunteer in animal care, one must be:
- At least 18 years old.
- Able to commit to a weekly, assigned shift.
- Available to make a one year commitment.
- Able to email and use internet well.
- Able to demonstrate the Essential Capabilities needed to safely interact with animals.
- Not volunteering for a court-mandated reason.
- Comfortable interacting with people and animals.
Foster Volunteer Additions
Successful foster volunteers also need to provide the following:
- At least 2 hours per day to care for the animals, most often for 4-6 weeks
- A quiet and secure place inside the home that is separated from family pets
- Ability to transport animals to the center for routine vet care
- A willingness to implement basic behavior training (provided)
- Flexibility to accept animals on short notice
To learn more, visit our Foster Care Program page.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Opportunities vary based on program vacancy. Future openings will be announced on our social media and listed here. Please check back at a later date.
Need More Flexibility?
Here are other ways you can help the animals:
- Our Super Pet Adoption (June) and Home for the Holidays Adoption Fair (December) need single-day volunteers ages 15+. Check our Events page for more information.
- Collect towels, newspaper, and cardboard paper towel tubes to drop off for the animals during center hours.
- Make and donate:
- Visit our social media outlets at the bottom of this page and share our posts.
For additional volunteer opportunities with the City of Irvine, visit our Volunteer Opportunities web page.