Animals too young to be spayed/neutered are extremely fragile creatures with relatively low survival rates. Underage animals require around-the-clock care, and without it, most shelters must euthanize. The center invites you to join the mission of saving underage animals by becoming a foster volunteer.
To receive information on upcoming foster recruitments, please submit your email address here.
By becoming a temporary pet parent, foster volunteers give a home to kittens, puppies, baby rabbits, or animals recovering from an injury or medical procedure. Fosters contribute time, energy, and a quiet, secure, indoor space away from any pets you may otherwise have. The center provides training, equipment, supplies, and veterinary care.
Fostering can last from a few days to several weeks. You tell us your availability and we’ll match you with animals in need. Once an underage animal reaches its mandatory age and weight, and receives a clean bill of health, it returns to the center to be spayed/neutered and made available for adoption. Adoption is not the volunteer’s responsibility.
The success of our Third Chance for Pets program relies heavily on the number of fosters the center has available. The more foster volunteers supporting the center, the more animals we can help.
Foster Volunteer Candidates Must Be:
- At least 18 years old
- Able to text, check email, and use the internet regularly
- Able to demonstrate the Essential Capabilities for Foster Care
- Not volunteering for a court-mandated reason
- Comfortable interacting with people and animals
- At least 2 hours per day to care for the animals; most often for 4-6 weeks
- A quiet, secure place inside the home that’s separated from family pets
- Ability to transport animals to the center for routine veterinary care
- A willingness to implement basic behavior training (provided)
- Flexibility to accept animals on short notice
Donate from Our Wish List
The center accepts donations of milk replacer, kitten nurser bottles, and puppy training pads in support of its Foster Care program. Donate to the Foster Care program from our Amazon wish list and have items shipped directly to the center.