Zero waste is a fresh approach to waste management and the use of resources. It goes beyond the “end-of-the-line” treatment of waste and promotes not only the three “R’s” (reduce, reuse, recycle), but also focuses on a “whole system” approach to the use of resources.
Zero Waste Emphasizes:
- Using less
- Using longer
- Recycling more
- Using more recycled and eco-friendly products
- Approaching manufacturing with a “zero waste” mentality
Why is Zero Waste Important?
With our current system of production, consumption and disposal, landfills are filling up and natural resources are being depleted. That’s why it is important for everyone – from individuals to corporations – to rethink our ideas about trash disposal. By reducing the amount of trash that is being produced and reusing materials that we already have, we can all help to not only protect the environment and conserve natural resources, but we can also sustain the environment for future generations.
Shifting to Zero Waste Model Would:
- Conserve natural resources
- Preserve the environment for future generations
- Create a more efficient economy
- Help prevent pollutants from entering the air, land and water
Click here to view the “Resolution of Support for Zero Waste Principles” adopted by the City of Irvine.