Requesting copies of police reports
The online police report request form can be found here. Please be aware that Apple devices with an iOS version of 12.4 or later cannot support the upload of attachments.
Who can request a copy of a report?
Copies of police reports may be requested by authorized parties of interest including:
- A victim or named witness of a crime
- Party or registered owner of a vehicle involved in a traffic collision
- Parent or guardian of a juvenile
- Authorized representative of the victim of crime
- The insurance carrier against whom claim has been made or may be made
- Person who suffered bodily injury or property damage as a result of an incident
How do I request a report and is there a fee?
You can request a copy of a report by completing the online report request form here, or by coming in person to the Business Desk. Business Desk hours are Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m.-8 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Depending on the type of report, it may need approval by a Detective and may not be eligible for release the same day.
If you are requesting a theft report to provide to your insurance company, they typically require only the face and loss page, which will be fulfilled quicker than a request for the entire report. All report requests must be reviewed for eligibility for release and if approval by a Detective is required, it may take up to 10 days to make a determination of what, if anything, can be released. You may call 949-724-7062 to check if the release has come back to Records identifying what will be released to you.
If a government issued ID is not uploaded on the online report request form, the requestor is required to come in person to the Business Desk and show a valid government-issued identification to pick up the report. Crimes against persons reports will require pickup regardless of whether an ID is uploaded. Reports/photos not picked up within 30 days will require a new request submission. Electronic distribution of reports will come from IPDRecordRequest@cityofirvine.org. Please note: This email address is not monitored.
Attorneys and insurance companies can request a copy of a report online. A Representation Letter along with their Client Authorization Letter shall be uploaded.
There is no fee for police reports. However, if photos are requested there is a $6.00 fee. Photos have to be picked up at the business desk and payment will be collected at the time of pickup.
To receive a copy of a report in the mail, you may send a notarized written request via US mail for a copy of a report by mail. Include a legible copy of a valid pictured government issued ID with your request, reference your report number and include a self-addressed stamped envelope. Mail the request to:
Irvine Police Department
P.O. Box 19575
Irvine, CA 92623-9575
ATTN: Police Records
What is releasable to me?
If the requestor has been recently arrested and not appeared at court the Police Department does not release the report.
Traffic Accident Reports
- The driver or drivers involved
- The guardian or conservator thereof
- The parent of a minor driver
- The authorized representative of a driver
- Any named person injured therein
- The owners of vehicles or property damaged thereby
- Any persons who may incur civil liability, including liability based upon a breach of warranty arising out of the accident
- Any attorney who declares under penalty of perjury that he or she represents any of the above persons
- All Hit and Run reports require a Traffic Investigator’s approval prior to release
- The Face Page and the Property Loss/Damaged Sheet is released to the victim of Thefts and Vandalism reports
- Identity Thefts – only the Face Page is released to the victim
- Domestic Violence – only the Face Page is released to the victim
- Full report requests for crime reports are released ONLY with a Detective’s approval and are subject to denial, redaction of portions of the report, or partial release
- Can be released to involved parties in the report only; release is subject to Investigators approval
- Domestic Related Incidents involving minors require an Investigators approval prior to release
- Juvenile Court has exclusive authority in determining the extent to which juvenile record information may be released (excluding traffic collision reports) to third parties. Each request must be reviewed prior to release
- Not required to release if disclosure would endanger the safety of a witness or other person involved in the investigation, or unless disclosure would endanger the successful completion of the investigation or a related investigation.
- Not required to release any portion of a report which would reflect the analysis or conclusions of the investigating officer.
Public Safety Fees:
|Citation Sign Off||$16.00|
|Ink Fingerprint Service||$25.00|
|LiveScan Service||$25.00 per license + Government Fees|
|Bad Check Fee||$25.00|
|Photos taken by CSI||$6.00|
|Copy of Police Report||No Charge|
|Subpoena Records Requests||$24.00|
Local Record Check Clearance Letter
How can I obtain information about my local record?
You must have lived, worked, or gone to school in Irvine or currently live, work, or go to school in Irvine. Requests can be made in person at the Business Desk with proper photo identification. The Clearance Letter will be processed immediately.
$16.00 fee for Local Records Check/Clearance Letter
You may also mail a request for a Clearance letter. This request must be notarized. Please include the application for a Visa Clearance Letter, a legible copy of a valid pictured government issued ID, a check for $16.00 made payable to the City of Irvine and include a self-addressed stamped envelope. The turnaround is 5-10 days. Mail the request to:
Irvine Police Department
P.O. Box 19575
Irvine, CA 92623-9575
ATTN: Business Desk
How can I get a copy of my California Criminal History?
Criminal History Information must be requested to the Department of Justice directly. Call 916-227-3849 or visit the DOJ website at https://oag.ca.gov/fingerprints/security.
Request Copy of Photographs
How do I obtain copies of photographs that were taken by CSI?
To request photos in a case you are listed, please call the Business Desk at 949-724-7000. All requests will require approval from the Detective managing the case. The requestor will be required to come in person to the Business Desk to show identification and make payment.
Fees for Photos (digital) – $6.00 after request is approved.