Great Park Key Documents
Below are a variety of transparency documents and negotiating agreements related to the history and building of Great Park. Click each link below for more information.
Great Park Board Articles of Incorporation & Bylaws
For a list of Great Park Board Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws, visit the Great Park Board webpage here.
Community Facilities Districts (CFDs)
In 2013, Heritage Fields El Toro, LLC and the City of Irvine worked in partnership to form CFD 2013-3, which encompasses the Great Park and the Great Park Neighborhoods. The CFD is an important source of funding for the substantial costs involved in converting the former El Toro Marine Corps Air Station to a new community. CFDs are a common way for developers to raise funds for development and often involve selling bonds and using a special tax to repay those bonds over time.
The majority of the CFD funding is devoted to building specified backbone infrastructure – streets, traffic signals, bike lanes, sidewalks, utilities, sewer lines, storm drains, parks, and recreational trails – that residents use on a daily basis. Portions of the CFD funding have also been designated to assist with the development of Great Park, and to provide for ongoing maintenance costs for Great Park.
Will the CFD charge increase?
The CFD charge can increase by up to 2% per year, based on increases in property values, similar to property taxes. Future bond sales that may be needed to raise funds for certain future public improvements in the Great Park Neighborhoods or the Great Park will not increase the charge.
How long will the charge continue?
The CFD has two responsibilities: repaying the original bonds and providing funding to maintain the public improvements, including the Great Park. Once the original bonds are repaid, which typically takes 40 years, the charge that property owners pay will be reduced by between approximately 65% and 82%, with the remaining tax continuing in perpetuity to provide maintenance funding.
What has the CFD funded?
Each year the City issues a report showing the activity of the CFD, including how much money was collected, where it was spent and how much debt remains. The reports and additional information may be found here:
- Community Facilities District Report (March 26, 2013)
- City Council Meeting Approving Formation of Community Facilities District: Staff Report and Supporting Documents (Item 4.1)
Great Park Monthly Development Report
- October 26, 2021 - Great Park Development Report
- September 28, 2021 - Great Park Development Report
- July 27, 2021 - Great Park Development Report
- June 22, 2021 - Great Park Development Report
- May 25, 2021 - Great Park Development Report
- April 27, 2021 - Great Park Development Report
- March 23, 2021 - Great Park Development Report
- January 26, 2021 - Great Park Development Report
- November 24, 2020 - Great Park Development Report
- October 27, 2020 - Great Park Development Report
- September 22, 2020 - Great Park Development Report
- July 28, 2020 - Great Park Development Report
- June 23, 2020 - Great Park Development Report
- April 28, 2020 - Great Park Development Report
- March 24, 2020 - Great Park Development Report
- February 25, 2020 - Great Park Development Report
- January 28, 2020 - Great Park Development Report
- November 26, 2019 - Great Park Development Report
- October 22, 2019 - Great Park Development Report
Environmental Impact Reports
- 2016 Orange County Great Park Corporation Financial Statements
- Prior Years Orange County Great Park Corporation Financial Statements
- 2019 Orange County Great Park Funds Financial Statement
- Prior Years Orange County Great Park Funds Financial Statements
- Measure W (March 5, 2002)
Established the former MCAS El Toro site as a park, eliminated a regional airport as an approved land use.
- Orange County Great Park Corporation Articles of Incorporation
- Property Tax Transfer & Pre-Annexation Agreement among the City of Irvine, The Irvine Redevelopment Agency, and the County of Orange, Regarding the Annexation and Reuse of Former MCAS El Toro (March 4, 2003)
Agreement between City of Irvine and County of Orange waiving County’s opposition of the City’s annexation of MCAS El Toro, providing tax transfer protocols and permitting certain uses on County retained land.
- Great Park Development Agreement (July 12, 2005)
Agreement between the City of Irvine, Lennar Homes, and Heritage Fields El Toro LLC provided Lennar Homes with vested development rights in exchange for land dedicated to the City and infrastructure and financial obligations.
- Master Implementation Agreement By and Between Heritage Fields El Toro LLC and City of Irvine (June 27, 2006)
Protocol agreement for Backbone Infrastructure.
- City Council Resolution 06-71: A Resolution of the City Council of the City of Irvine Affirming Protection of the City's General Funds in the Planning, Construction, Operation and Maintenance of the Orange County Great Park (June 13, 2006)
Protection of City General Funds.
- Initiative Ordinance 08-17: An Ordinance of the City of Irvine Ratifying and Implementing Policies Relating to the Orange County Great Park (December 9, 2008)
Implementing Polices for the Great Park (Expired 2012)
- Amended and Restated Development Agreement Between the City of Irvine and the Irvine Redevelopment Agency and Heritage Fields El Toro LLC (ARDA) (December 22, 2010)
Agreement to add the Irvine Redevelopment Agency to the Development Agreement and amending certain terms and conditions. Provides for Heritage Fields transfer of additional parcels to City.
- Amended and Restated Master Implementation Agreement By and Between Heritage Fields El Toro LLC and City of Irvine (ARMIA) (December 22, 2010)
Agreement updating the original protocol agreement.
- Agreement with City of Irvine as Adjacent Landowner (ALA I) (September 13, 2011)
This Agreement accelerated certain Backbone Infrastructure and added $40.5 million in Developer Funding. This Agreement also provided for certain coordination matters and amended City land-use restrictions created in previous agreements.
- Second Agreement with City of Irvine as Adjacent Landowner (ALA II) (November 26, 2013)
Agreement between the City of Irvine and Heritage Fields for Heritage Fields to construct 688-acres of the Great Park in exchange for additional development rights on its adjacent property.
- City Council Ordinance 14-04: Orange County Great Park Fiscal Transparency and Reforms Act - Measure V (December 19, 2014)
This ordinance created financial controls for expenditures of Great Park funds, established annual auditing requirements, and formalized structural changes to the Great Park Board of Directors and operations of the Orange County Great Park.