The City of Irvine is partnering with the Chuck Jones Center for Creativity to spotlight artist Chuck Jones and his iconic career with a summer art exhibition at the Great Park Gallery, July 4–September 12. The community is also invited to participate in ongoing art and creativity programs featuring Jones’ world-famous cartoon characters, educational lectures, and a film series inspired by the artist’s work and legacy.
Chuck Jones: Season of Creativity Exhibition
The Chuck Jones: Season of Creativity exhibition is designed to explore the process of animation from script to screen through original art, writing, and other ephemera created by Chuck Jones. The public is invited to a free exhibition opening Sunday, July 4, 1–3 p.m., at the Great Park Gallery. The exhibition runs through Sunday, September 12, and will give guests the opportunity to learn how Jones helped bring to life some of the most famous Warner Bros. characters including Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Marvin the Martian, Wile E. Coyote, and Road Runner. Gallery hours and more information is available at ocgp.org/arts.
Season of Creativity Activities
Throughout the summer and fall, the City of Irvine, in partnership with the Chuck Jones Center for Creativity, will host community art events, a film and lecture series, recreational activities, and an augmented reality experience celebrating the Season of Creativity. Dates and additional details are available at cityofirvine.org/chuckjones.
- Community Art Events: Gather at the Great Park for Saturday Morning Cartoons & Drawing sessions, where guests will learn from trained artists how to draw Jones’ most famous characters; and the Chuck Jones Big Draw, a variety of creativity stations where visitors will create artwork through doodles, drawing, animation, and stop-motion experiences. Upcoming events include:
- Saturday, July 17, 10 a.m.–1 p.m.: Saturday Morning Cartoons & Drawing: Bugs Bunny & Daffy Duck
- Saturday, August 21, 10 a.m.–1 p.m.: Saturday Morning Cartoons & Drawing: Marvin Martian & K9
- Sunday, September 5, 10 a.m.–1 p.m.: Chuck Jones Big Draw
- Saturday, September 11, 10 a.m.–1 p.m.: Saturday Morning Cartoons & Drawing: Wile E. Coyote & Road Runner
- Chuck Jones Film & Lecture Series: Learn more about Jones' career and impact on the world of animation, and enjoy showings of classic cartoons during this free drop-in educational series at the Great Park Hangar 244. Upcoming series include:
- Sunday, August 1, 1–3 p.m.: What Makes Chuck Chuck?
- Sunday, September 5, 1–3 p.m.: The History of Chuck Jones
- Recreational Activities: Classes for all ages in cartooning, sewing, crafting, improvisation, joke writing, and more. Ages and fees vary by activity; online pre-registration is required at yourirvine.org.
- Augmented Reality Experience: Use your mobile device to interact with world-famous characters “hanging out” around the Great Park through augmented reality. Try it out at cityofirvine.org/chuckjonesAR.
The Orange County Great is located at 8000 Great Park Blvd., in Irvine. For a complete list of activities and more information, visit cityofirvine.org/chuckjones.