The City of Irvine is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse and fully integrated cities in the country. With a population of more than 280,000 residents, the City has grown significantly since its incorporation in 1971. Many residents, businesses, and employees have selected Irvine to live and work because of its history of celebrating diversity, equity and inclusion. The City is committed to ensuring that every person living and working in our community is treated with fairness, and has access to equitable services and opportunities.
On January 26, 2021 the Irvine City Council passed the resolution reaffirming Irvine's commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion within our community. As such, the City of Irvine is taking steps to ensure we embrace and celebrate diversity in all aspects of our community and foster an environment that is inclusive of all cultures, backgrounds, races, and ethnicities.
- The Ad Hoc Committee of City Council appointees will provide input on the needs of the community, and advise the City Council in meeting the specific goals outlined in the resolution.
APPOINTMENTS BY CITY COUNCIL
Five (5) members at large are appointed by the City Council. Currently, the following individuals serve on the Committee:
- Amil Aaron, Chair, Appointed by Mayor Khan
- Rebekah Thomas, Co-Chair, Appointed by Vice Mayor Kim
- Noha Nour, D.D.S., Appointed by Councilmember Agran
- Sidney Wu, Appointed by Councilmember Carroll
- Yulan Chung, Appointed by Councilmember Kuo
Committee Five Focus Areas:
- City employment
- City contracting
- Hate crimes/incidents
- City's diversity campaign
- Convention of the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW)
Resolutions and Initiatives:
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Resolution
- CEDAW Resolution
- We Are Irvine
- Reporting Hate Crimes and Hate Incidents
- July 29, 3-4:30 p.m.
- August 26, 3-4:30 p.m.
- September 23, 3-4:30 p.m.
- October 28, 3-4:30 p.m.
- November 30, 3-4:30 p.m.
- December 16, 3-4:30 p.m.
Past Agendas and Meetings:
- March 30 Presentation
- April 29 Presentation
- May 20 Presentation
- June 21 Presentation
HOW TO WATCH A LIVE MEETING:
The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee meets monthly via Zoom. Community members may watch the meeting and provide questions via the Zoom Q&A function. Click here and use the passcode below. You can also join via the Zoom app on your smartphone or tablet, or in a web browser here by entering the Meeting ID and Passcode below.
Meeting ID: 985 1955 0985
HOW TO CONNECT TO ZOOM WEB-CONFERENCE BY TELEPHONE:
To join the Zoom web conference from your phone, dial 669-900-6833. When prompted use the below Meeting ID and Passcode.
Meeting ID: 985 1955 0985
TECHNICAL SUPPORT PRIOR AND DURING THE MEETING:
For technical assistance before and during the meeting, please call 949-724-6078.