Procurement FAQs

Have a question for the City's Purchasing Team? 

Submit a Question

Q: How do I register as a vendor with the City of Irvine?
A: Visit the City’s Supplier Registration and Bid Opportunities webpage to register. Complete the supplier registration process, including selecting all category codes which describe the goods or services your company provides.

Q: Is there a fee to register as a vendor?
A: No. There is no fee for any vendor to register, receive email notifications, download documents, submit to solicitations, or be awarded if registering through the City of Irvine’s PlanetBids portal directly, which can be reached here:

Q: After I register as a vendor, how will I be notified of bidding opportunities?
A: Registered companies will be notified via email when a Bid Opportunity, Request for Proposal, or Request for Quotes is posted that matches any of the project category codes they selected as part of their registration or profile update.

Q: How do I update my profile?
A: Registered vendors may update their profile at any time by logging onto their PlanetBids account and selecting “VENDOR PROFILE,” then click on “VENDOR DETAILS” to edit their information.

Q: Why should I register as a vendor with the City of Irvine?
A: All informal and formal bidding is performed online via PlanetBids, the City’s online bidding platform. Only registered vendors are notified and invited to participate in bidding opportunities. Registered vendors will receive updates and communications related to solicitations they have selected to be informed about. They will also be able to view and download other solicitations under the bid opportunities section.

Q: What is the bidding threshold for the purchase of goods and services?
A: The City’s bidding threshold begins at $60,000. Goods or services with a value less than $60,000 do not have to be competitively bid.

  • Informal bidding (excluding public works projects)
    • Acquisitions between $60,000 and $200,000
    • Selected registered vendors invited to submit quotes or proposals
    • Goods: awarded to the lowest, responsive, responsible vendor
    • Services: awarded to the highest-rated responsive and responsible proposer
  • Formal bidding (excluding Public Works projects)
    • Value over $200,000
      • Invitation for Bids (IFB) –
        • All vendors registered under the specific category code(s) are invited to submit bids
        • Lowest, responsive, responsible bidder awarded contract
      • Request for Proposals (RFP) –
        • Firms registered under the specific category code(s) are invited to submit proposals
        • City staff evaluates responsive proposals based on criteria set forth in RFP Document
        • Highest-rated proposer awarded contract

Q: Why is insurance required for service agreements/contracts?
A: The City has set standard minimum requirements for service agreements in order to protect against liability that may arise from damages caused by consultants/contractors in the performance of their work. Proof of insurance from consultants/contractors demonstrates they have a source for payment of claims against them as well as the City.

Q: What are the City’s Prevailing Wage Requirements?
A: The City of Irvine is subject to prevailing wage requirements for public works projects and maintenance and repair work exceeding $1,000. For information about the City’s prevailing wage requirements, please click here.

Q: Does the City have a local vendor preference?
A: Yes, the City adopted a “Local Vendor Preference” program, whereby Irvine firms are afforded a 5% preference when bidding on equipment, supplies, and services for the City, for determining the lowest bidder. For Local Vendor Preference program info, please click here.

Q: Does the City have a Disadvantaged Business Enterprise Program?
A: The City has established a Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) Program which generally applies to projects with federal funding. If the DBE requirements apply, they will be included in the bid specifications. Along with the DBE program, the City supports other Small Business Enterprise (SBE) firms. For DBE and SBE program resources, please click here.

Q: How do I become certified as a Disadvantaged Business Enterprise?
A: Learn more about how to become a DBE certified firm with the California Unified Certification Program (CUCP), including criteria that must be satisfied. This website will assist you with the DBE certification process: California Unified Certification Program (CUCP) DBE Certification.