City of Irvine Emergency Rental Assistance Program

Monday, February 1, 2021

OVERVIEW

To continue to mitigate the impacts of COVID-19 on Irvine’s residential renters, the City of Irvine, in partnership with Orange County United Way, will be allocating approximately $17.7 million for the Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP).

OC United Way will be assisting the City in administering the ERAP. The application period will be from March 8 to March 19, 2021. This program is only eligible to residential renters in Irvine and is not available to commercial, industrial or other types of business-related tenants.

The program will prioritize eligible households with back rent from April 1, 2020 to March 31, 2021. For eligible households with back rent, the participation of the landlord may result in 80% of the back rent being paid for, if the landlord agrees to forgive the remaining 20% of the rent through an agreement. For eligible households with back rent, but the landlord is unwilling to participate, only 25% of the back rent will be paid for. 

The application will be available on Monday, March 8, 2021 at 8:00 AM and the deadline for submitting an application is Friday, March 19, 2021 at 5:00 PM. Any applications received after this date will not be eligible. After the closure of the application period, a lottery system will be used to select grant recipients, in order to provide equitable access for all Irvine renters. Once the lottery is completed and eligibility is confirmed, grants will be distributed as described below.
 

Priority:

Households with unpaid rent from April 1, 2020 to March 31, 2021 will have priority.

The ERAP will prioritize (1) households with an annual income at or below 50% Area Median Income (AMI) and based upon household size or unemployed for 90 or more days, then (2) households with an annual income at or below 80% Area Median Income and based upon household size.
 

Income Category

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

50% AMI

$44,850

$51,250

$57,650

$64,050

$69,200

$74,300

$79,450

$84,550

80% AMI

$71,750

$82,000

$92,250

$102,450

$110,650

$118,850

$127,050

$135,250

Eligibility:

To qualify for participation in the Emergency Rental Assistance Program, residential renters must meet all of the following criteria:

  • Must be at or below 80% Area Median Income.
  • Must be a residential renter in the City of Irvine.
  • Must have a current and valid lease or proof of rent payment history.
  • Renter must demonstrate a financial hardship as a direct result of the COVID-19 pandemic (2020 Tax Returns, 2020 W2s, pay stubs, 3 months bank statements, etc).
  • Must not have received other rental assistance from any governmental agency, including Section 8 vouchers; individuals that received grant assistance in the City’s previous Rental Assistance Program are eligible to apply.

APPLICATION PROCESS AND TIMELINE

  • Grant applications will be available on Monday, March 8, 2021 at 8 a.m.
  • The tenant will need to apply; one application per household. The landlord is encouraged to participate and cooperate as staff will be reaching out in the review process. 
  • The application period will open on Monday, March 8, 2021 at 8 a.m. and close at 5 p.m. on Friday, March 19, 2021.
  • The lottery will be conducted on or around March 22, 2021 and complete applications will be reviewed for eligibility immediately. Additional documentation may be requested.
  • In all cases, the City reserves the right to reject any and all applications in the event the City identifies a potential conflict of interest or the appearance of a conflict of interest.
  • Submission of an application in no way obligates the City to award a grant and the City reserves the right to reject any or all applications, wholly or in part, without penalty.
  • If awarded, this application becomes a binding contract between the applicant and the City of Irvine.
  • Grant funds will be awarded to landlords. If the landlord is unwilling to participate, grant funds may be awarded to the applicant.  

Contact Information 

For questions regarding the Emergency Rental Assistance Program, please call 949-724-6185 or email at RentalAssistance@cityofirvine.org.

For additional assistance for residents during the pandemic, including utility resources, click here