Chuck Jones: Season of Creativity
The City of Irvine is thrilled to partner with the Chuck Jones Center for Creativity to spotlight artist Chuck Jones and his iconic career through a Great Park Gallery exhibition and interactive programming featuring his world-famous cartoon characters. The community will have opportunities to participate in art and creativity programs, educational lectures, and a film series all inspired by Jones’ work and legacy.
JUST ADDED: Celebrate the 109th Birthday of Chuck Jones
September 21 would have been Chuck Jones' 109th birthday, and we're celebrating all month long!
- Extended: Chuck Jones: Season of Creativity Exhibition: If you haven't seen the one-of-a kind sketches and unique memorabilia featured in this extensive exhibition, we have good news. The exhibition has been extended through December 31. MORE INFO
- Pose at the Park: Did you know there are four Looney Tunes characters hanging out at Great Park? Use your phone to take a selfie, then post with #chuckjones109 to celebrate. MORE INFO
Chuck Jones: Season of Creativity Exhibition
Chuck Jones: Season of Creativity is an exhibition designed to explore the process of animation from script to screen through original art, writing, and other ephemera created by Chuck Jones. Visit the Great Park Gallery through Sunday, Friday, December 31 to learn how Jones helped bring to life some of the most famous Warner Bros. characters including Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Marvin the Martian, Wile E. Coyote, and Road Runner.
The Great Park Gallery is open noon–4 p.m. Thursdays and Fridays and 10 a.m.–4 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays. Admission is free. Visit ocgp.org/arts for more information on the exhibition.
Community Art Events
Enjoy free family-friendly events at Great Park that will inspire your creativity and teach you more about the work of Chuck Jones. No registration is needed, and all ages are welcome. Drop-in activities are available while supplies last.
Use your mobile device to interact with world-famous characters “hanging out” around the Great Park through augmented reality. Start the adventure by visiting cityofirvine.org/chuckjonesAR from your mobile device once you're at the Great Park. From there, you can find and interact with characters around the park. Characters are located near the Balloon, Carousel, Kids Rock, Palm Court, and the Terraced Lawn.
How it Works
- Make sure your photo settings are updated:
- Go to settings -> Privacy -> Enable Location Services
- Go to settings -> Safari -> Location, in the "Settings for Websites” section, and set to “Ask”
- Access the augmented reality experience at cityofirvine.org/chuckjonesAR.
- Click "Start the Adventure."
- Click on the character you want to engage with (must be within 100ft radius of character in order to engage).
- "Allow" cityofirvine.org/chuckjonesAR to access your camera.
- Align your hand with the image of the hand on the screen and the character will appear in your palm.
- Place the character where you want and use your fingers to move, rotate, and scale the character.
- To reactivate the character, place your hand in front of the camera until the character relocates to your palm.
Join us in a variety of family-friendly activities in cartooning, sewing, crafting, and more celebrating Season of Creativity. Activities are held at various City of Irvine facilities, and fees and ages vary by program. Registration is required for the activities noted below at yourirvine.org; click the links below to sign up.