Major Programs Completed/Milestones Reached – September 2016-December 2018
Orange County Great Park
- The 1,300-acre Orange County Great Park is the largest public park project now underway in the U.S. Several hundred acres of parkland are under development, and beginning summer 2018 and through year’s end, several more facilities and fields will be turned over to the City for community public use. These are the 1-mile long Great Park bike and pedestrian trails; seven baseball fields that include a 1,000-seat baseball stadium; five softball fields that include a 500-seat stadium; six artificial turf soccer/lacrosse fields; four basketball courts; a Children’s Playground; and an 18-acre Flex Field in which up to four playing fields can be added for tournament use.
- Grand openings since August 2017 have totaled 183 acres.
- Park development is under a public-private partnership with FivePoint that involves 688 acres.
- Separately, the Anaheim Ducks-owned Great Park Ice – the largest ice facility in the state with four sheets of ice and one of the largest in the country at 270,000 square feet – will open by the end of 2018 at the Great Park. Ice time will include public skating, youth hockey games and tournaments, and figure skating. The Ducks affiliate has spent $100 million on the project.
- More affordable housing apartment complexes opened in 2018, continuing with the City Council’s focus of serving extremely low income, very low income, low income, developmentally disabled, and veterans.
- The 80-unit Parc Derian Apartments in the Irvine Business Complex finished construction in May 2018; a grand opening was held in August 2018.
- The 157-unit Luxaira Apartments located in the Great Park was completed in February 2018; a grand opening was held in August 2018.
- Two mixed-income apartment properties opened in the IBC in 2017 and 2018, Metropolis and Rize, adding 91 units of affordable housing.
- Implementation this year of the newly adopted Sunshine Ordinance, providing increased transparency and public participation.
- Upgrade of the City’s Electronic Content Management System from SIRE to OnBase that included the migration of 16 million electronic records.
- Certified the November 4, 2016 Election that included the coordination of a countywide Voting Center that served thousands of voters over nine days, including weekends.
- Conducted a Special Election on June 5, 2018.
- The City Clerk’s Office has been awarded $100,000 from the state Department of Finance to be used for strategic U.S. Census outreach efforts.
Community Development – Entitlements
- Working on final entitlements in Northern Sphere (Portola Springs, Orchard Hills). Building permit and construction activity is ongoing.
- Completed approximately half of the entitlements for Great Park Neighborhoods. Building permit activity and construction is ongoing.
Community Development – Hotels
- Five hotels have opened in the past two years, with more than 760 rooms, reflecting the need for business stays. A sixth hotel, the 200-room Staybridge, is expected to open in early 2019. The new hotels: Homewood Suites; AC Hotel by Marriott; Hyatt House; Hampton Inn; Marriott Irvine.
- Great Park staff added more than 100 acres of operations skill as the Sports Complex had major openings in August 2017 and September 2018.
- Public outreach was conducted for a draft update to the Senior Services Strategic Plan regarding key issues facing senior community members.