The City of Irvine is involved in a number of Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) activities in cooperation with the Federal Highway Administration, State of California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) and leading research organizations such as the University of California Transportation Studies at UC, Irvine.
The City of Irvine is a partner to the California Research Program with Caltrans and UC, Irvine that is designed to demonstrate the capabilities of real-time interconnectivity and data sharing between organizations.
In addition, City Traffic Engineers are working on the following projects to further minimize travel delay:
- Installing additional cameras to monitor and correct signal timing from the traffic management center (ITRAC)
- Applying mobile wireless cameras to monitor traffic congestion locations throughout the City
- Installing additional video detection systems
- Installing detection monitoring at ITRAC to improve the traffic circulation at all City-maintained signalized intersections
- Submitting grants for additional funds on projects that help signal coordination
- Working with adjacent agencies to provide coordination across jurisdictional boundaries
- Coordinate major travel corridors in the City