- There are a variety of zoning requirements that will apply, including standards for building setbacks, building height, lot coverage, and parking. Refer to the Zoning Guidance below
- For example, if you are adding an additional bedroom, an additional parking space may be required
- School Facilities Fees will be assessed on additions of 500 square feet and larger
- If the addition is planned to be used as an Accessory Dwelling Unit, click here link to ADU page when created
- Additions which encroach into a yard may require a survey prior to plan approval. Refer to the Building Guidance below
- Your Homeowners Association will likely have its own approval process. Review your HOA policies and procedures before proceeding with your design plans
- If your property is a condominium, you will need to submit a copy of the approved design plans from your HOA as part of your application
- After you have completed and gathered all of the required documents, you will need to submit your permit application and plans electronically through the IrvineReady! Online Plan Submission Portal
Requirements for each zoning district are outlined in Chapter 3-37 of the Zoning Ordinance. For your convenience, zoning requirements for two of the most common residential zoning districts are linked below.
Setback General Notes
- The front setback (measured from the face of the street curb) is typically 15 feet for many single-family properties
- Side setbacks are typically five feet, but may be greater for corner lots, properties adjacent to non-residential properties, and residences in Shady Canyon
- The rear setback is typically 10 feet, but can vary
- A six-foot setback is typically required between buildings
- There are special setback requirements for buildings near certain streets
LOT COVERAGE GENERAL NOTES
- Typically fifty percent (50%), but can vary
- Lot Coverage Calculation:
- (Existing First Floor Living Area + Existing Garage Square Footage + First Floor Addition Square Footage + Any Additional Fully-Enclosed Space on the Ground Floor (such as an accessory structure)) ÷ (Lot Square Footage – Easement Square Footage) = LOT COVERAGE
BUILDING HEIGHT GENERAL NOTES
Typically 35 feet for single-family homes, but can vary
PARKING GENERAL NOTES
- For homes approved before August 9, 1983, two (2) onsite covered parking spaces are required
- For all other single-family homes:
- If home has three (3) bedrooms or fewer: two (2) covered (garage) parking spaces are required
- If home has four (4) or more bedrooms: three (3) parking spaces required, two (2) of which must be covered (garage)
- For required driveway and garage dimensions, click here
Contact the Planning Counter at email@example.com or 949-724-6308 to confirm setbacks and additional zoning requirements.
- Refer to Informational Bulletin 220 Soil Report Requirements for Additions
- Review Informational Bulletin 222 - Permits and Construction for Repairs and Remodels to Existing Condominiums, Townhouses and Detached Single Family Homes
- Mechanical vents and exhaust terminations for room addition located at zero lot lines, yard easement and exclusive common areas shall comply with City of Irvine Bulletin 325.
- If your project involves an addition which encroaches into a yard, a survey may be required prior to plan approval. Refer to Information Bulletin 302.
- Homes built before 1980 that are removing walls will need to provide a South Coast Air Quality Management District Rule 1403 Notification Number Report.
- If your home was built before 1994, refer to Informational Bulletin 321
- The home will need to meet current smoke and carbon monoxide detector requirements at the time of final inspection
What Documents Wil Be Required?
For a printable checklist, click here.
Please refer to the file size and formatting information available through this link.
Architectural and Structural Plans, including the following:
- City of Irvine Title Sheet for Residential Additions or Remodel (fill out all applicable references including the Site address, Scope of Work, and home fire sprinkler information)
- Architectural Site Plan depicting the following:
Building footprint with dimensions and setbacks.
Identification of all exterior fences/walls
Identification and labeling of all easements of record (i.e. easement to neighbor or water district easement, etc.)
Include the following note in the site plan and complete when confirming that no easement(s) exist on the property:
I, ____________________________, (print name as appropriate) property owner/authorized agent confirm the property depicted herein contains no easements restricting the proposed construction as shown in these plans.
Note: Projects including additions which encroach into a yard may require a survey prior to plan approval. For more information see Information Bulletin No. 302.
- Architectural plans that include existing and proposed floor plan layouts and roof layout, existing and proposed exterior elevations, sections cut through addition and existing structure, applicable details. Identify in plans rain gutters on any eave, dimension on the plans, the measurement (width) of the eaves measured from the face of the wall to the end of the face of the eave including any rain gutters.
- Structural plans that include foundation plan and details, floor framing and/or roof framing plan (as applicable), structural details.
- City of Irvine Green Building Standard Notes-Residential for additions that increase the conditioned space only
PDF copy of the Engineer's Structural Calculations
PDF copy of Title 24 Energy Calculations. Plans shall include:
All corresponding compliance forms
A complete list of required Installation of Certificates, Certificates of Acceptance under the heading “Construction Certificates Required”
A survey prepared and signed by a Land Surveyor or Civil Engineer licensed to practice land surveying in the State of California is required per Information Bulletin 302 for any proposed addition designed to extend into an existing side yard or to come within one foot of a required front or rear yard setback.
If your project requires a geotechnical report (as outlined in Information Bulletin 220), the report shall require the below, prepared and signed by a qualified civil or geotechnical engineer.
A plot showing the location of all test borings and/or excavations.
Descriptions and classifications of the materials/soil encountered.
Elevations of the water table, if encountered.
Recommendations for foundation type and design criteria including bearing capacity, provisions to minimize the effects of expansive soils and the effects of adjacent loads.
Expected total differential settlement between the existing foundation and the proposed addition.
- IF PROPERTY IS A CONDOMINIUM: Copy of Design Approval Plans/Letter from Your Homeowners Association
- IF HOME WAS BUILT BEFORE 1980 AND PROJECT INVOLVES REMOVING WALLS: South Coast Air Quality Management District Rule 1403 Notification Number Report
READY TO BEGIN? Your application must be submitted online using the IrvineReady! Online Permit Submittal Portal. We recommend keeping this webpage open in a different tab so you can refer to the information below.
IrvineReady! works best on Google Chrome, rather than Safari or Microsoft Edge.
When you click the button below to go to IrvineReady, you will first be prompted to create an account, or to log into an existing account.
After creating an account and logging in, click the green plus button to the lower right-hand side of the window to start a new submittal.
In the “Project Type” drop-down menu, select “For Permitting--Other” as the permit type.
- After submitting your plans, City staff will review the information for completeness within approximately two business days. If additional information is needed, you will be notified.
- You will be emailed a link to pay required fees. Visit the Fee Schedule page for additional information and current fee rates
- After payment is received, your project will be assigned for review.
In general you should anticipate five (5) business days for the initial plan check; if corrections are required, you will be notified.">">