Irvine Meals on Wheels' mission is to assist homebound senior citizens in maintaining their independence by providing nutritious, healthy, great tasting meals delivered to their homes. Irvine Meals on Wheels is a joint partnership between the City of Irvine and the National Charity League - Irvine chapter. For over 30 years, National Charity League's Irvine chapter has adopted Irvine Meals on Wheels as its main philanthropic activity, providing funding for administrative program costs.
For more information download Irvine Meals on Wheels At-A-Glance or contact the office at 949-724-6910
Eligibility for Irvine Meals on Wheels
In order to be eligible for the Irvine Meals on Wheels program, you must meet all of the following criteria:
- Irvine Resident
- 60 years of age or older
- Must have completed assessment performed by Irvine Meals on Wheels staff or volunteer
- Homebound and those living alone or at highest acuity receive highest priority
- Unable to prepare nutritious meals or obtain meals from another source
- Able to accept meals between 11:15 a.m. and 1 p.m. weekdays
Cost for Irvine Meals on Wheels
Irvine Meals on Wheels Services are partially funded by the "Older Americans Act." Services are provided on a donation basis, no one is turned away due to inability to donate.
- Suggested donation of $5 per day for three meals
To make a donation to Meals on Wheels, click here.
About the Meals
- Irvine Meals on Wheels are delivered Monday through Friday between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- Clients receive 100% daily nutritional value determined on 1,600 calorie diet.
- Meals are from preplanned menus that have been analyzed by a Registered Dietician.
- Each person receives three meals per day: 1 hot meal (lunch), cold dinner pack, juice, and a light breakfast for the following day.
- Meals are not Kosher and special accommodations can not be made.
- Meals types offered are Regular (Low Sugar).
- Food is prepared and packaged onsite by our professional staff and wonderful volunteers.
Are you interested in supporting the Irvine Meals on Wheels program by becoming a volunteer? Meals are prepared at the Lakeview Senior Center and are cheerfully delivered each weekday during lunchtime by our wonderful volunteers.
If so, please contact Victoria Heidelman at 949-724-6096.
Volunteers provide a vital service to older adults who are unable to prepare meals for themselves. Meals are delivered Monday - Friday (10:40a.m.- 1p.m.). Minimum six month service commitment required. Proof of California driver license, current auto insurance, and a Live Scan.
Donate to Irvine Meals on Wheels
In operation for more than 30 years, donations made to the Irvine Meals on Wheels program go directly to provide a meal to an Irvine senior. In fiscal year 2012-2013, nearly $25,000 was raised for Irvine Meals on Wheels, providing us with the ability to:
- Provide 55,000 meals to homebound seniors
- Add 53 new participants to the program
- Offer 1,100 nutrition education sessions
- Provide over 350 in-home and telephone assessments
How to Donate
To make an online donation to Meals on Wheels or other senior program, please visit cityofirvine/irvinegives. All major credit cards are accepted including Visa, Mastercard, Discover and American Express.
You may also make a donation in person at the Lakeview or Rancho Senior Centers.
Donations are tax deductible and directly benefit program costs.
Donate Your Car to Irvine Meals on Wheels
Donate your used car, van, truck, boat with a trailer, or recreational vehicle to Irvine Meals On Wheels, seven days a week, 24 hours a day. It’s as easy as filling out our Online Auto Donation Form at www.mowaa.org/donatemycar
Meals On Wheels Car Donation Program accepts any vehicles regardless of age and condition!
When filling out your Online Auto Donation Form, be sure to select "CA Irvine Meals on Wheels" so that your donation will help support the Irvine Meals on Wheels program.
Prefer to speak to a person?
Please have your title in hand and call us at 1-888-MOW-KAR1 (1-888-669-5271) and one of our friendly operators will assist you.
Hours of Operation:
Monday – Thursday: 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Fridays: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Saturdays: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Vehicle donations made to Meals on Wheels Association of America are tax deductible. Our organization has been designated by the IRS as a 501c (3) charity. The best practice is to consult with a tax professional on how to maximize your tax deduction since every car donation and tax situation is unique. In general, the IRS limits the tax deduction to the gross proceeds from the sale of the car, truck, or other vehicle. Charitable contributions must be itemized on Schedule A of Form 1040 to qualify. If the gross proceeds exceed $500, Form 1098C “Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes” and Form 8283 "Non cash Charitable Contributions", must also be completed and attached. Forms 1098C and 8283 are required to be provided to the donor within 30 days of the sale of the vehicle.
To learn more on what the donors’ responsibilities are prior to making a car donation, please consult the
"Donors Guide to Vehicle Donations" found in IRS Publication 4303.
Free Pickup and Other Benefits
- Free Towing whether it’s running or not, you can donate your automobile anywhere in the U.S.
- Eliminate the hassle of repairing, advertising, and selling your car by letting courteous, trained staff handle all the details.
- Qualify for an IRS Tax deduction.
Rest assured that your donation directly supports our programs and services.
Maximize Your Car Donation Tax Deduction in Moments
Simply call our toll free number at 1-888-MOW-KAR1 (1-888-669-5271) with the year, make and model of your vehicle, the general condition, the vehicle identification number, and with title and lien in hand. We will handle the rest. Our friendly operators are glad to answer any questions you may have. They will arrange a convenient time for free auto towing, and mail your required tax form documentation within four to six weeks.
Meals on Wheels Association of America has partnered with Melwood’s Charity Car Donation Center, a non-profit agency, to manage and operate our vehicle donation program. Melwood, since 1963 has provided job training and employment for over 2,000 individuals with disabilities. For more information on Melwood's Charity Donation Center, please visit charitycardonationcenter.org