Irvine residents can take a leadership role in the development of Community Services programs and facilities through participation on the Community Services Commission. Commissioners bring residents' perspective to deliberations on matters ranging from land acquisition to youth diversion, helping assure quality programs and facilities.
Purpose: Advises the City Council regarding park, recreational and cultural programs that would be of interest and benefit to the City's resident; advises on the development and improvement of the City's recreational facilities.
Supporting Department: Community Services
Power: Advisory only
Appointments by City Council
Five (5) members at large are appointed by the City Council. Currently, the following individuals serve on the Commission:
- Chair Kevin Trussell (Appointed by Jeffrey Lalloway)
- Vice Chair Jim Shute (Appointed by Christina Shea)
- Commissioner Lauren Johnson-Norris (Appointed by Melissa Fox)
- Commissioner Dick Owens (Appointed by Donald P. Wagner)
- Commissioner Scott Schultz (Appointed by Lynn Schott)
Community Services Commission Duties
- Park, Recreational and Cultural Facilities
Act in an advisory capacity to the City Council in matters pertaining to the acquisition, capital improvement, rehabilitation and maintenance of parks and recreational, cultural, library and youth facilities.
- Annual Budget
Consider the proposed annual budget for the Community Services Department and make recommendations to the City Council and City Manager.
- Programs and Public Interest
Recommend policies for the acquisition, development and improvement of land and facilities.
- Take Direction from City Council
Perform such other duties or studies as may be directed by the City Council.
Committees Reporting to the Community Services Commission
- Irvine Aquatics Advisory Board
- Sports Committee
- Child Care Committee
- Irvine Children, Youth and Families Advisory Board
- Irvine Residents with Disabilities Advisory Board