To mitigate the impact of COVID-19 on Irvine’s residential renters, the City of Irvine has committed its allocation of approximately $2,000,000 in one-time federal CARES Act funding to create a rental assistance program. This program is only eligible to residential renters and is not available to commercial, industrial or other types of business-related tenants.
Per City Council direction to assist Irvine renters directly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, staff has developed the following rental assistance program:
- A maximum one-time $1,000 grant to provide 1,000 individuals/households with assistance to pay lease termination fees.
- A maximum one-time $1,000 grant to provide 1,000 individuals/households with rental payment assistance.
It is estimated that through this program the City will be able to assist approximately 2,000 households in the community that can demonstrate a sufficient COVID-19-related financial hardship, including students in non-university housing.
The deadline for submitting an application is July 24, 2020 at 5 p.m. Any applications received after this date will not be eligible. After the closure of the application period, a lottery system will be used to select grant recipients, in order to provide equitable access for all Irvine renters. Once the lottery is completed and eligibility is confirmed, grant checks will be transmitted directly to the grantee’s landlord.
To qualify for participation in the Rental Assistance Program, residential renters must meet all of the following criteria:
- Must be a residential renter in the City of Irvine.
- Must have a current and valid lease.
- Renter must demonstrate a financial hardship as a direct result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Must not have received other rental assistance from any governmental agency.
APPLICATION PROCESS AND TIMELINE
- The application period will open on July 13, 2020 at 8 a.m. and close at 5 p.m. on July 24, 2020.
- The lottery will be conducted on or around July 27, 2020 and complete applications will be reviewed for eligibility immediately.
- In all cases, the City reserves the right to reject any and all applications in the event the City identifies a potential conflict of interest or the appearance of a conflict of interest.
- Submission of an application in no way obligates the City to award a grant and the City reserves the right to reject any or all applications, wholly or in part, without penalty.
- If awarded, this application becomes a binding contract between the applicant and the City of Irvine.
- Grant funds will be awarded directly to the landlord upon approval of this application, through either a direct deposit or a check mailed to the landlord’s address provided on the application.
- For information regarding the COVID-19 Rental Assistance Program, please call 949-724-6185 during regular business hours or email at RentalAssistance@cityofirvine.org.
- For technical assistance with submittal of applications, please email email@example.com.
- Upon application approval, for questions regarding payment status to the landlord, please call 949-724-6255 or email AP@cityofirvine.org.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Applications must be submitted via the online portal. Hand delivered, emailed, or mailed applications will not be accepted.