The City of Irvine is accepting applications to fill two member-at-large vacancies on its Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee. The Committee is committed to ensuring that every person living and working in the community is treated with fairness and has access to equitable services and opportunities.
Applicants shall reside or work in the City of Irvine. At-Large members will serve two-year terms with Committee meetings every month on the fourth Thursday at 5 p.m. Due to COVID-19, meetings will take place virtually until further notice.
Selection will be based on:
- Demonstrated concern for, and the desire to improve and maintain a community where people can live, work, and play in an environment that is safe, vibrant, and aesthetically pleasing;
- Commitment to embracing and celebrating the City’s diversity and welcoming all people who live, work, and visit the City of Irvine;
- Dedication to confronting the systemic racism and racial inequities that have been created and sustained over time; and commitment to creating an inclusive environment that values the diversity of cultures and backgrounds.
- Proven work in advocating for and providing equitable and inclusive services to people of all races, religions, genders, sexual orientations, abilities, and all other civil liberties.
The duties of the DEI Committee will be as follows:
- Act in an advisory capacity to the City Council in matters pertaining to diversity, equity, and inclusion, including without limitation ending racial and other disparities, creating fairness in hiring and promotions, creating greater opportunities with contracting, and providing equitable service to all residents.
- With assistance from City staff, gather data and information to formulate recommendations to the City Council for the establishment of measurable equity goals and outcomes.
- Review and recommend revisions to current City policies to ensure that the City advances the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Review and recommend revisions to outreach processes for contracting with women, minority, and disadvantaged-owned businesses through the City’s business licensing program.
- Monitor and make recommendations to the City Council with regard to hate crimes and incidents.
- Monitor and make recommendations to the City Council with regard to the elimination of all forms of discrimination against women.
- Perform such other duties or studies as may be directed by the City Council.
In January 2021, the Irvine City Council passed a resolution reaffirming its commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) in the Irvine community and created the five-member Ad-Hoc DEI Committee to provide input on the needs of the community and advise the City Council in meeting its goals. In January 2022, the Irvine City Council directed the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee to become a standing committee and expand its membership to seven committee members.
Applications are available online here. Completed applications must be submitted online or to the City Clerk’s Office by 5 p.m. Monday, February 28.
City Clerk’s Office
City of Irvine
P.O. Box 19575
Irvine, CA 92623-9575