Dressing for Success
Whether you are meeting with the manager, of simply walking in to ask for an application, dress professionally. It is imperative to make a great first impression.
- Arrive and “Check in” 10-15 minutes prior to your scheduled interview. Bring 3-4 copies of your resume.
- Introduce yourself to the receptionist and let them know you are... “here for a job interview with Mrs. Smith,” then take a seat and wait quietly.
- Do not text or play on your cell phone, keep it out of sight.
- Make sure your phone is on silent mode. Vibrate is not good enough. Sometimes a phone will be turned on by accident and buzz while it turns on. Put it on silent or just leave it in the car.
- When you are approached by the interviewer, stand to greet the interviewer with your winning smile, make eye contact and shake hands.
- Aim, connect shake, and make eye contact.
- Grip should be firm, not limp.
- Shake hands, not fingers (like a princess). Professional women will not be offended.
- This is not the time for high fives, fist bump, etc.
- Shake firm, but don’t break bones!
- Stop before you hear a crunch!
- Speak loud and clear.
- Keep answers brief and straight to the point.
- Speak proper English.
- Practice talking without saying “like” or “umm”.
- Tie all of your answers back to the job for which you are interviewing. This works wonders!
Tell a story
A story is like giving the evidence or proof to your statements. You may say you are a “leader,” but can you give a real life example? Stories are remembered. When your stories are remembered, you are remembered, and they will remember who to call for the job.
Book your mock interview today: email or call us at 949-724-6741.
Our office is open by appointment only,
9 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Please call or email us to schedule an appointment.
Youth Employment & Programs Office
14301 Yale Avenue, Irvine, CA 92604