Irvine Inaugurates Children’s Health Initiative
In January 2008, the Irvine City Council proposed the development of the Irvine Children’s Health Program Initiative (I-CHP). The goal of I-CHP is to promote the health and wellness of the community by ensuring all Irvine children have access to affordable health services.
The City of Irvine has a contract with the Children’s Health Initiative of Orange County (CHI OC) to enroll income-eligible families into State funded health insurance programs for children 18 and under.
The CHI OC is a partner with Irvine to:
- Provide local outreach to a broad spectrum of agencies such as community parks, schools, community centers, churches and the Irvine community at large
- Help low income families enroll children into five programs for low income families: MediCal, Healthy Families, California Kids, Kaiser Child Health Plan and/or Healthy Kids. Each of the five programs has different requirements, eligibility criteria and availability
- CHI OC staff will help families determine the best plan for a particular child according the status of the family, size, income, location, age, etc.
- Inform the family of all the paperwork and documentation that is necessary for the appropriate plan and help them enroll
- Follow up with families to make sure their application was accepted and they received the insurance cards, etc.
- Help families select a provider, doctors, and dentists in their locale that are appropriate, such as bilingual and culturally sensitive, if possible
- Work with the family at the time of re-enrollment so they do not lose coverage
To make an appointment to see a Certified Application Assistor or for help in the enrollment process, visit the CHI OC web site at www.chioc.org or contact them by e-mail at email@example.com. You may also call (714) 246-8737.
The City of Irvine has a population of more than 209,000, spans 65 square miles and is recognized as one of America’s safest and most successful master-planned urban communities. Top-rated educational institutions, an enterprising business atmosphere, sound environmental stewardship, and respect for diversity all contribute to Irvine’s enviable quality of life. This family-friendly city features more than 16,000 acres of parks, sports fields and dedicated open space and is the future home of the Orange County Great Park – the first great metropolitan park of the 21st century.