The Irvine Police Department is pleased to welcome students back to school this month. As we all know, the first couple weeks of school can be a hectic time with adjusting to new schedules or drop-off routines. IPD is here to help you and your children get to and from school safely each day. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Leave early. The first couple of weeks of school bring heavier traffic. You won’t have to rush if you plan for a little extra time.
- Obey all traffic laws and signs in school zones.
- Drop children off in the designated locations. Do not allow children to get out of the car in the middle of the street.
- Remember that everyone has the same goal of getting their children to school safely, so be patient with other drivers and pedestrians.
- Always obey crossing guards.
- Always use crosswalks.
- Do not engage in distracted driving. This is especially dangerous in school zones.
- Our Traffic officers patrol the streets near school to ensure safety. Remember to slow down and make complete stops at stop signs.
We wish everyone a wonderful school year. Should you need assistance regarding traffic issues, please call the Irvine Police Department non-emergency line at 949-724-7000.