Here are some simple precautions to help protect your bike from being stolen:
- Always securely lock you bicycle. Use a U-lock, securing both wheels and the frame to a stationary object such as a post, fence, tree, or bike rack. For extra security, add a chain or cable with a good padlock.
- When your bike is at home, keep it in a locked garage or room. Do not leave it in the yard or driveway.
- Record the serial number of your bicycle and keep it with the sale receipt and a photograph of the bike.
- Mark your bicycle with unique number/engraver to deter thieves and to help the police in identifying and returning your stolen bike to you.
- License your bike with the Irvine Police Department.
The Irvine Municipal Code requires Irvine residents to license bicycles operated within the City of Irvine. This service is available for free. An application can be completed online or in person at:
Irvine Police Department
1 Civic Center Plaza
Irvine, CA 92606-5208
You will receive your free license in the mail or at the time you bring in your application. Place the license on a clean part of the bike that cannot be removed.