Homepage > Irvine Police Department > Business Desk > Information/ServicesE-mail storyPrint friendly format
Sorry, this page has moved!
Please click here to go to the new location.
IPD Frequent Asked Questions

Police Information/Police Services:

Q. How and when can I get fingerprinted or Livescans performed?
A. Ink fingerprinting services are provided for persons living and/or working within the City of Irvine. The fees are $10.00 per license, all cards must be filled out in BLACK ink only. Picture Identification must be provided and will be checked. Fingerprints are performed on Tuesday through Saturday between 9:00 am and 1:00 pm. No appointment is necessary.

Livescans can be provided by appointment only and the charge is $10.00 per license. Additional DOJ charges will apply. Please call the Business Desk at (949) 724-7000 during business hours for further information and to make an appointment.

Those needing fingerprints for the Immigration and Naturalization Service must have them done at an INS office. Contact the INS for further information.

Q. How do I obtain a copy of a police report?

In order to obtain a copy of a police report, individuals must be named in the report or be the owner of property involved.  Please call the Business Desk at (949) 724-7000 to ascertain if your report is available.  Bring picture identification with you when picking up the report.Reports cannot be faxed.  Additionally, some reports are not releasable.

Insurance company request for police reports are processed via U.S. mail only.  Requests must be mailed in and include: the report number or full name of the party involved along with a self-addressed stamped envelope.

Attorney requests for police reports are processed via U.S. mail only if they can document they are the Attorney of fact.The .10 per page fee applies.

Crime and Incident Reports:

Released to: 

  • Victim(s) 
  • Authorized representative of victim
  • Insurance carrier against which a claim has been made and/or might be made 
  • Person suffering bodily injury, property damage or loss

Not released: 

  • If the disclosure would endanger the safety of a witness or other involved party 
  • If disclosure could endanger the successful completion of an investigation and/or relatedinvestigation 
  • Name and address of a victim(s) of certain specified crimes will not be disclosed
  • If the Department is prohibited by law from releasing the report (e.g. child abuse reports)

Traffic Collision Reports:

Released to:

  • Drivers involved in the collision
  • Registered owners of vehicles involved
  • Parents of a minor driver involved
  • Passengers involved listed in the report
  • Insurance companies
  • Those incurring property damage as a result of the accident 
  • Those who may incur civil liability as a result of the accident 
  • Any attorney who declares under penalty of perjury that he or she represents any of the above persons

Juvenile Reports:

Released to:

Parents of a juvenile may receive a copy of certain types of reports if their child is the only juvenile identified in the report.

All other requestors must petition the Presiding Judge of the Juvenile Court directly for the release of juvenile records. The Juvenile Court has the exclusive authority to determine whom, and the extent to which juvenile record information may be released.
Q. Does the Police Department accept credit cards?
A. No, Irvine Police Department will only accept cash or checks.
Q. What hours can I come and pick up property?
A. Call the Property Division to make an appointment. (949) 724-7095
Q. How do I get a bicycle license?
A. You may come into the Business Desk to pick up an application form, or contact Crime Prevention at (949) 724-7149. There is no charge.
Q. Does the Irvine Police Department offer ride alongs?
A. Yes, ride alongs are scheduled through the Business Desk. All prospective riders must be checked through criminal databases before acceptance. Please call the Business Desk during normal business hours to schedule an appointment. Typically, only residents of Irvine will be permitted.
Q. How do I schedule a tour of the Police Department?
A. Contact Preventive Services at (949) 724-7079.
Q. How can I get a Travel Visa Clearance Letter?
A. You must come into the Business Desk during normal business hours and fill out a letter request. Please bring proof of residency in Irvine. The fee is $13.00
Q. How do I get an alarm permit?
A. Alarm permits can be obtained, free of charge, by clicking here, or by calling (949) 724-7128. Please see the Alarm permit page for more information.