|Counter Reviews for Residential Solar Photovoltaic Systems|
The over the counter (OTC) residential photovoltaic (PV) review process has been established to provide an expedited path to permitting PV systems. For simplicity, the OTC process is reserved for three basic 4 string-single inverter or single string microinverter PV system configurations for single family dwellings and is at the discretion of the Plan Checker. The process and experience will be more successful if the required documents and format are followed and all proper documentation for obtaining a permit is available. In consideration of serving other customers, we respectfully request submitting only one over the counter review project per day per installer. Additional projects can be taken in for our standard five work day review.
Choose one of the 11”x17” single line configurations for your PV design: J-Box to Inverter; J-Box to Combiner Box to Inverter; or, J-Box to Combiner Box to DC Disconnect to Inverter; or Microinverter Single String. Download and provide the information requested in each component, wiring and/or grounding box. Please be sure to download and include the Signs and Labeling for Single Inverters or Signs and Labeling for Microinverters and Storm Water Pollution Prevention Notes in each set of drawings.
Assemble three sets of plans according to the drawing format below. Complete the City of Irvine’s Building Permit Application and Residential Take-Off Sheet.
Come to City of Irvine’s Community Development Department - Permit Processing Counter and take a “Residential Remodel – B” service ticket. A staff member will call your service ticket number and enter your project information into our computer system to begin the review process. Your project will be reviewed by a planner for code compliance, and a plan checker for building and electrical code compliance. After the Planning and Building Plan Check counter reviews have taken place and the plans have been stamped approved, you will be transferred back to our permit staff to obtain the building permit to install the residential PV system. Please be sure to have your contractor’s pocket card; Certificate of Workers Compensation (if applicable); and City of Irvine business license with you.
Deviation from the three basic 4 string–single inverter designs (e.g. multiple string micro-inverters, dual-inverters w/load centers) will require submittal for a five workday review. If the design is not in compliance with Planning and/or Building codes and ordinances, plan review comments will be created for you to respond to and/or revise your plans accordingly and resubmit the project for further review. Please submit three revised sets and the original sets for comparison.
Three sets of plans arranged in the following order. Make sure all graphic information and text is legible:
- Site Plan with street address, property owner’s name and phone number and applicant’s contact info
- Roof Plan of Module layout with dimensions showing distance from roof edge, hips and/or valleys
- Downloaded and completed Single Line Electrical Diagram
- PV system manufacturer’s specification sheets for listed solar modules; inverter; J-boxes; combiner boxes; connectors; disconnects and any other system components making up the PV design. Include panel load calculations if the main distribution panel OCPD was reduced
- Storm Water Pollution Prevention Notes/Signs and Labeling sheet
- Roof mounting calculations
- Roof mounting details stamped and signed by either a CA licensed Civil Engineer, Structural Engineer, or Architect.
- Roof mounting manufacturer’s product specification/Installation sheets
See Solar Photovoltaic System For Single Family Dwelling Submittal Requirements for Additional Information.